CHILD SPONSORSHIP Frequently ASKED QUESTIONS
How can I communicate with my sponsor child?
- There is no postal service to the community and no established road.
- Photos of letters and photographs can be sent to TANZEED who will forward these via Whats App to one of the teaching staff or TANZEED representative. These will then be shared with your child. Replies from your child will be sent via the same method. Replies may take some time due to poor internet coverage. We ask that only a limited number of photos (eg 2-3) and letters are sent approximately quarterly. Please do not send confidential information. Your child will send you a letter about themselves and their family.
Can I send gifts?
- No. We do not encourage gifts as it sets up inequities within the family and the community. Additionally, there is no postal system to the community.
Can I visit my child?
- This can be a very special experience and is a possibility if permission is granted from the village leader. Kiserian is normally a very private, closed community, unaccustomed to visitors with no established road. You may need to be accompanied be a TANZEED volunteer. Please negotiate any visit requests through TANZEED.
How much of my money actually reaches my child and the school community?
- TANZEED is a not for profit organisation
- All the members of the TANZEED team are volunteers who work without payment
- Approximately 3% of funds received go towards essential running costs and marketing
- TANZEED, as a registered charity of the Australian Charities and Not-For-Profits Commission, has independent annual financial audits. These are available on request.
Are my child sponsorship payments or additional donations tax deductible?
- Yes. TANZEED is registered as a Deductible Gift Recipient with the Australian Charities and Not-For-Profits Commission so donations may be claimed as part of your tax claim
Where does my child sponsorship money go?
- The money goes towards education-related costs to benefit your child and the community such as school books, stationary, teaching resources, teachers’ wages, building and improving classrooms, toilets, water tanks and providing lunch whilst attending school.
- The money is not sent directly to the child’s family as this can set up inequities within a family and within the community. However, the money supports improvements to your child’s school and access to a quality education which directly benefit your child and their community.
- TANZEED is committed to working in partnership with the community and they drive the priorities for the organisation. We aim to give the community a “hand-up”, not a “handout” to move towards a more sustainable, independent future. The school has already self-initiated a school board, uniforms, a meal program and volunteer support staff.
What happens when my child finishes primary school or if they move?
- TANZEED will offer you the option of sponsoring another child in our program.
Can I make additional donations?
Additional donations are welcome and can be made via the Donations tab on the website
or via BSB transfer to:
Account Name: TANZEED
BSB Number: 105-010
Account Number: 121 983 940
Bank: St George
Bank Address: 129 The Parade, Norwood, South Australia, Australia, 5067
Email Confirmation: firstname.lastname@example.org
IMPORTANT: Please reference your email in the 'description field' so we can include these donations in your tax receipt
What happens if my circumstances change and I can no longer continue sponsorship?
You can stop payments at any stage if your circumstances change. TANZEED will seek to find another sponsor for your child. You are welcome to transfer sponsorship to family or friends in communication with TANZEED.
Where is the school and community of my sponsor child?
Namelok School (meaning “sweet little school” in Maasai) is located in a remote community called Kiserian in northern Tanzania. Kiserian is a proud Maasai community but they have many challenges. There is no running water, electricity, established road or health services. The nearest Government school is over 12km away and takes children approximately 3 hours for children to walk each way. Namelok School enables children to access an education in their community.
Please contact us on email@example.com